Full-Sun Desert Plants in CA, AZ, NV, TX, and FL
Look to Moon Valley Nurseries for the Ideal Desert Plants
Cultivating a garden in the Southwest doesn't have to be difficult. When you choose the right shrubs and flowers, gardening is a breeze no matter how hot the summer gets. At Moon Valley Nurseries, we're proud to provide homeowners across the American South with exceptional plant life and landscape design services. We serve residents of California, Nevada, Florida, Texas, and Arizona with top-notch industry knowledge and the best design techniques. Many of our customers ask us for advice on plants that can survive intense desert heat—and they came to the right place! Our team would be happy to point you to the ideal plants for full-sun exposure.
Helping You Pick Heat-Resistant, Native Desert Plants
Whether you come to us knowing exactly what you want, or you need some expert advice, Moon Valley Nurseries is here for you. We know all about the most popular heat- and drought-resistant plants that are native to your area. Our team specializes in desert shrubs, palm trees, and flowering hedges of all kinds. We're sure to find you a plant that meshes with your garden's aesthetic and will survive the desert heat. Ask us about the following garden must-haves:
- Fruit trees
- Hedge material
- Evergreen trees
- Ground covers
Plant These Flowers and Shrubs in Full Sun
Luckily, you have plenty of options when it comes to heat-friendly plants. The team at Moon Valley Nurseries wants you to choose the best perennials for full sun that will last all summer long. While it would take too long to list out all your gardening options, find some of our favorite drought-tolerant plants below:
- Bougainvillea: This flowering desert plant is perfect for landscaping. Bougainvillea thrives in tropical climates and produces beautiful blooms even in desert climates. Be sure to water your plant regularly, and remember to prune any frost-damaged parts in the spring.
- California Poppy: California poppies are native to Mexico, so it's no wonder that they do well in extreme heat. Choose this variety of poppy for bright yellows, oranges, pinks, and creams. Many times, this plant can be grown as a self-seeding annual.
- Desert Sunflower: A list of plants for desert heat wouldn't be complete with a mention of sunflowers. Desert sunflowers grow naturally in Mexico and the United States Southwest, blooming from late winter into the spring.
- Marigolds: Marigolds are popular all over the United States. However, most people don't know that marigolds are quite drought-resistant and are perfect for a garden in full sun. Marigolds can usually survive on rainwater alone, but you may need supplemental irrigation for best results.
- Silver Ironweed: Silver ironweed loves the sun and is tough enough to withstand intense desert climates. The silvery leaves and pop of pink are known to attract bees and butterflies yet repel other wildlife such as deer and rabbits.
- Yellow Columbine: Yellow, or golden, columbine is perfect for areas with lots of sunlight. The yellow flowers bloom from bushy foliage to add a golden glow to your garden.
- Red Yucca: This succulent might look like long grass at first glance, but when the bright-colored flowers bloom, your garden will surely stand out. Red yucca is a very common dessert shrub as it rarely needs any maintenance.
- Baja Fairy Duster: This shrub makes a beautiful addition to any desert garden. The Baja fairy duster boasts gorgeous red flowers that will stand up to sweltering temperatures. Just don't forget an occasional deep watering, especially at the height of summer!
- Desert Zinnia: Desert zinnias add a beautiful burst of color but don't require extensive maintenance. You'll start to see these flowers in the late summer when the sun is at its hottest. What's more, zinnias rarely attract deer and rabbits.
Low Maintenance, Low Stress
Low maintenance is a common theme among popular desert plants. It's why choosing a native plant species is so beneficial. At Moon Valley Nurseries, we always recommend choosing trees, shrubs, and flowers that would grow naturally in the climate you live in. The result is less stress for you and less stress on the environment. Other reasons to opt for plant life that can survive in full sun include:
- Less Watering: If you're a veteran resident of the Southwest, you know that water isn't an unending resource. Choosing a native plant species that loves the sun means you won't need to use up so much water on your garden.
- Sustainability: Planting native trees and shrubs is much more environmentally sustainable in the long run. For one, native plants can stave off invasive species, as well as contribute to the ecosystem as a whole.
- Container Friendly: Perhaps you have a pot or hanging box you'd like to spruce up with flowers. Many native Southwestern plants do well in artificial containers with minimal watering and attention.
Choose Us for All Your Landscaping Needs
Moon Valley Nurseries is much more than just a place to buy plants. While our team will certainly point you to the best plants for full sun, we also offer outstanding landscape design services. When you request help from one of our landscape designers, we'll be with you every step of the way. We can help you brainstorm ideas and then take care of all the planting for you. Our team also offers tree rental and tree maintenance, as well as wholesale services. If you're interested in one or more of these services, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're always happy to provide world-class customer service and convenient financing.
Get in Touch with Moon Valley Nurseries
No matter the size or aesthetic of your garden, we'd love to help you choose the perfect plants. We have years of experience helping residents of the American Southwest create beautiful, thriving landscapes. Our team can help you build a garden from scratch, or we can point you to the exact plants you're looking for. We'd also be glad to give you maintenance tips so your desert plants can grow and thrive in the long run. Contact us today for more information on Moon Valley Nurseries and our services.