- Leatherleaf Fern are delicate looking, yet durable evergreen plants with glossy dark green foliage that can carpet the landscape in deep green color!
- Synonym: Aspidium capense
- An easy to care for evergreen plant that makes a great gift!
- Delicate looking, but durable
- Great for use as a groundcover and in hanging baskets '“ sure to add a tropical or lush effect to any garden too!
- Its common name, Leatherleaf, alludes to its ability to withstand wilting
Leatherleaf Fern, Rumohra adianitiformis, are delicate looking, yet durable evergreen plants with glossy dark green foliage that can carpet the landscape in deep green color! These ferns are native to the many subtropical and tropical areas of the Southern hemisphere, and in our area, we like to use them as a groundcover, and they also look great in hanging baskets. Leatherleaf Ferns are an excellent addition to any tropical or Asian/Zen garden style, and some people like to cut the foliage to add texture to floral arrangements. We also like to use them in borders, mass planted under palm trees, and they look beautiful when growing in the shady areas of a landscape!
Leatherleaf Fern care is quite easy. Grow Leatherleaf Ferns in a spot with full sun or partial shade exposures. They stand up to well to heat too! Once established, these ferns have low to moderate watering needs. Feed with fertilizer during the growing season, and we recommend cutting back old fronds after the new growth begins in the spring.
Moon Valley Nurseries has got you covered whether you are looking to replace damaged trees or are starting with a fresh new landscape. We custom-grow Leatherleaf Ferns and the companion plants that can transform any size landscape! We make it easy with free landscape design consultations at our nurseries and a virtual landscape design tool on our website that you can use in the comfort of your own home. Visit us today and handpick the perfect trees and other plants for the perfect spot in your yard!