- Grown usually as a multiple trunk tree
- Canopy spots small gray/green leaves vibrant purple blooms
- Provides screening, shade, and spring color to your landscape background
- Evergreen and slower growing desert tree
- Another common name is Desert Ironwood, Arizona Ironwood
- Drought tolerant
- Clusters of showy pinkish flowers in late spring, ideal for adding spring color to arid landscapes
- Name is derived from its extremely hard, heavy heartwood
Ironwood, Olneya tesota, is an excellent evergreen tree that is native to the Sonoran Desert and we like to use them as a screen and to cast the right amount of light shade in any landscape. In late spring, clusters of showy pinkish flowers appear, helping to bring beautiful spring color and curb appeal to any landscape style! We like to plant them for use as a focal point or as a specimen tree that can bring the right attention to your yard. They have a slow growth rate so buy as big as you can if you want to enjoy the benefits that a bigger tree can bring to your landscape!
Desert Ironwood trees thrive in a location that gets plenty of full sun exposure, and they are drought tolerant once established with little to moderate water requirements. These evergreen trees are easy to care for too, making them a favorite tree for both residential and commercial applications!
An Ironwood specimen is ideal for rock gardens and xeriscapes. Also, their unique branching structure makes them a perfect tree for lighting up with nighttime landscape lighting! There are many great reasons to add Olneya tesota to your landscape! Use them to add color, texture, shade, screening and even as security in your yard!
Moon Valley Nurseries is the grower of the best-looking Ironwood trees so that we can assure their quality is the best you'll find anywhere. Visit your nearest Moon Valley Nursery and handpick the perfect tree for the perfect spot in your yard! Let us do the work so that you can come home to a beautiful new landscape!