- Known by many names, seen as the 'classic' pine tree
- Eldarica has a dense, symmetrical cone-shaped canopy.
- Does well in the hottest microclimates of the lower desert zones
- Dependable, fast growing specimen pine tree
- Synonym Pinus brutia eldarica
- Other common names include Afghan Pine, Calabrian Pine, East Mediterranean Pine, Brutia Pine
- An excellent desert pine that tolerates heat, wind and drought conditions
- Can give off a mild, fresh fragrance
- Evergreen tree that can be used as a Christmas tree
- Can be used as an effective windbreak
- Can grow in a pyramidal, upright or erect shape
The Eldarica Pine (Pinus eldarica) is one of the best pines for growing in the desert and is also one that can thrive near the Pacific Ocean. These medium-size trees are from southern Russia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan and they are ideal for Southwestern landscapes! We like to use them as a shade tree or planted in groupings where they can create a large privacy screen. Plus, if you live in an area with high wind, they are also an excellent windbreak! And if you're looking to add a living Christmas tree to your yard, an Eldarica Pine has a natural Christmas tree shape that remains as the tree grows to maturity!
Anyone looking for a pine tree that can thrive with little to no water will love that an Eldarica Pine is a very waterwise tree once established. Full sun is ideal, so we like to plant them in a location that gets at least six hours of sunlight each day. It can tolerate a broad range of soils, and the fact that it can tolerate dry conditions very well makes it a superb choice for any desert landscape!
Moon Valley Nurseries has been growing these dependable, fast-growing trees for over 20 years. We are the growers so that we can assure their quality is the best you'll find anywhere. We do the work for you, from professional landscape design (free at any of our nurseries!) to helping you handpick the perfect trees for the perfect spot in your yard and free planting on all box sized trees!